Omega 3 Power Berry Balls™
- Organic Flax Seed-Whole: 30 grams
- Organic Flax Seed-Ground: 30 grams
- Organic Hemp Seed-Whole: 15 grams
- Organic Hemp Seed-Ground: 15 grams
- Organic Coconut-Unsweetened: 20 grams
- Organic Rose Hip Powder: 5 grams
- Organic Schisandra Powder: 3 grams
- Organic Parsley: 1 gram
- Organic Cilantro: 1 gram
- Organic Goji (Lycii) Berries: 10 grams (cut into small bits)
- Organic Blueberries (dehydrated): 15 grams
- Organic Flax Oil (Not high lignin): ¼ Tsp
- CA-Montmorillonite Clay: ½ Tsp
- ½ Tsp Filtered Water
- Organic Raw Honey (I prefer Manuka): 2 Tblsp. (melt over warm water)
Yields: 35-40 balls depending on size of balls.
Mix all ingredients thoroughly and then make into 1 inch balls and place on dehydrator rack.
Dehydrate at low temperature for 24 hours. If you don’t have a dehydrator you may place them in your oven at the lowest temp for 2-3 hours with the door slightly cracked to help reduce the temperature. But remember, cooking/baking our birds’ foods literally destroys the nutrients. When you first remove them they will be soft to the touch. As they adjust to room temperature they will “harden” up.
These are very sticky to form into balls, you will need to rinse your fingers frequently as you roll the balls and keep your fingers oiled with the flax oil so they don’t stick to the balls as you roll them.
These make a healthy treat high in omega 3’s, high in antioxidant activity, a good liver and kidney detox, light in metal detox, a good mineral supplement. They are low in omega 6’s which is good for anti-inflammation. They are gluten-free. However, you want to be careful how many you feed to a feather-destroyer because these contain a lot of seed. Even though the flax is high in omega 3’s reducing the effects of inflammation caused by years of diets that over-supplement omega 6’s, they still contain a high amount of the amino acid “Arginine” and can add to the dilation of blood vessels that potentially induce itching. So please feed in moderation.
You can leave out the clay if you want to, or if your bird is already receiving the clay in other foods. But make sure you leave out the water too if you leave out the clay.
You can obtain Terramin Clay and the dehydrated organic goji berries, blueberries, small shred coconut, flax seed and hemp seed from TheBestBirdFood.com.
©2013 Machelle Pacion / Passion Tree House LLC All Rights Reserved
Leave a comment (all fields required)