- ½ cup organic Cucumber, washed, peeled and diced.
- ¼ cup organic Zucchini, washed, peeled and diced.
- 1 Tblsp. organic Heirloom Tomatoes, washed, unpeeled and diced.
- 1Tblsp washed, organic Cilantro leaves, finely diced.
- 1 Tsp. sprouted, organic Radish seed.
- 1/16th Tsp. fresh, organic chili peppers, super-fine diced.
Yields about ¾ cup to 1 cup. (1/4 cup is considered one serving for a 425-525 gram bird)
Serve slightly chilled, but not cold.
Be sure to remove within 2 hours of serving to prevent pathogenic bacterial growth. (FDA Guideline)
Do not freeze for future use, make fresh each time you serve.
Freezing causes cell walls of the produce to burst causing essential nutrients to degrade and diminish.
I personally like to keep the Scoville heat number under 100,000 for my parrots, although some recommend not going over 50,000. Here is an excellent chart showing the Scoville heat index of a variety of chili peppers. It includes clickable links with photos of each variety: Scoville Heat Index.
For information about how to wash produce and sprouts: Sprouting Basics & Cleansing Produce Safely.
Happy, healthy foraging!
©7.12.17 Passion Tree House LLC – All Rights Reserved – Avian Nutrition Specialist: Machelle Pacion
Visit: TheBestBirdFood.com today!